Sunday, November 13, 2011

Surprise!! Jalapenos!

Well I had a package of gluten free corn bread that someone gave me to try out.  I also had some left over "mexican 4 cheese blend" from some tacos I made earlier in the week. I combined them and cooked it.  It turned out so fluffy and tall!

I glanced at a recipe for black bean soup earlier this week in a magazine.  I cooked up 4 cups of red or pinto beans, not sure which.  (My bean pot is a huge mixture  http://theleftoverslady.blogspot.com/2011/09/dry-beans-are-way-to-go.html).  I got out my largest cooking pot and started making my own version of black bean soup.
4 cups of any kind of beans----cooked on a separate day
1 cup of chopped peppers----from my freezer from a sale back in September  http://theleftoverslady.blogspot.com/2011/09/processing.html
1/2 onion chopped
several garlic cloves chopped
2 teaspoons of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
sprinkling of ground coriander
1 very small can of creamed corn with the liquid
1 can of chicken broth
1 can of corn
1 large scoop of homemade green tomato salsa-------made last weekend (http://theleftoverslady.blogspot.com/2011/11/green-tomato-salsa-goes-into-crockery.html)

It was very liquid-y and so I cooked it down for one hour until it was more like chili.  I sat down to enjoy what I expected was going to be pretty mild and tasty.  WOW!  It was so hot and spicy, I could barely eat it.  What a surprise!  I try not to make food that is too spicy.  I know my green tomato salsa was spicy and I know chili powder and cumin can be spicy, but my best guess of what happened is this;  back in September I bought a large bag of peppers from my local produce market (http://theleftoverslady.blogspot.com/2011/09/processing.html).  And I'm thinking  now, that one or more of them was actually a jalapeno and not a sweet bell pepper.  I simply chopped them all up at that time and froze them in bags.  So last night I just tossed a bag of frozen peppers in.  Hahaha, well, it made me laugh, knowing that I make food without even really knowing what I'm putting into it!  Oh well, the cornbread helped and we all survived.  However, I did not feed this one to my son.



No comments:

Post a Comment